Monday, March 14, 2011

The Umbrella: A Deadly Weapon



Ever wish you could use your umbrella to fend off Rapscallions and Ruffians? I did. So last weekend I took the Umbrella Self-Defense workshop at Academie Duello with my friend Stacey. We learned art of self-defense with an umbrella, based on the Bartitsu system developed in turn of the century Victorian England. Some techniques were the same ones taught to Suffragettes to defend themselves during violent protests. The workshop was a lot of fun and really informative. I'm quite certain I could now ward off a Ne'er-do-well if need be. I'm hoping to take the Intro to Bartisu workshop next - it's important for a lady to know how to fight like a gentleman.

1 comment:

  1. Rapscallions and Ruffians... what about Republicans? Does umbrella self-defense work against those of the right wing persuasion? ;)

    ReplyDelete